- Add maderia cake, or jam swiss roll, slices to cover the bottom and sides of the bowl. Seems to work better if the cake is stale!
- Now moisen the cake with sherry until it sill soak up no more
- Drain two tins of fruit cocktail, and put to one side
- Mix up one pack of fruit jelly (to match the fruit you add) that should make 1pt of jelly. I added a small amount of water, heated in the microwave (as per the packet!) and then added the syrup from the fruit cocktail, and a good bit more of the sherry. Now it is important to add too much liquid so that it doesn't set too hard. Probably add around 1.25 to 1.5 pints for a 1 pint jelly.
- Now add the fruit into the jelly mix and pour over the cake base, making sure all the cake is covered up.
- Now put this into the fridge until it has set
- Now about one or two hours before you want to eat the trifle get some thick fresh custard (at least 1 pint) and pour that over the top of the jelly mixture to make a nice thick layer.
- Now whip some double cream (at least 1 pint) so it is fairly firm and carefully spoon over the cream (so you get two clear layers!)
I like to decorate the top with some coloured sugar strands and glace cherries, it is really tasty and reminds me of home!